Field House Farms is a multi-faceted farming project in Abbotsford, BC. They are looking for a Farmhand to join their farm team for the 2019 season!
ABOUT FIELD HOUSE FARMS
Field House Brewing is an award winning craft brewery in Abbotsford. We have started a farm with the goal of growing produce and grain to input into our beer and food program. For the 2018 season, We partnered with 3 different farm partners to lease local ALR land. We were able to produce 9 tonnes of malted barley, and over 3000 lb of produce from 50 different crops which was used in our food and beer programs.
After a challenging yet successful 2018 season on multiple farm properties, we are excited to be moving onto ONE farm location starting winter 2018! This property is 5 acres, and located 12 minutes down the road from our tasting room.
We are looking for a passionate person to join our team and work with our Lead Farmer. The ideal candidate would be able to start with us by April 1st. The farmhand will be working closely with our lead farmer to produce and integrate farm produce into the food and beer program at the brewery.
As purveyors of the Good Life at Field House we work to ensure balance for our team and add value to their lives, and these values extend directly to our farming practices. We care deeply about supporting our local agriculture community and sourcing as locally and sustainably as possible. We believe that the flavour that comes through on the plate and in our beers is a direct product of the inputs and how it was grown in the first place. To that end, we farm as organically as possible without being certified. We love our community, and believe that if we can showcase the viability of small parcels of under-utilized ALR land in the Fraser Valley and the direct relationship in supporting a small restaurant and brewery can and will inspire others to do the same!
On Facebook: @fieldhousebrewing
We received a Grant from the Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) under the Career Focus Program to help us create a farmhand position and these are the government requirements:
- Between the ages of 15-30
- Unemployed or Underemployed
- Have graduated from a University, College, or CEGEP
- Have not have participated in any other Youth Employment Strategy programs (ie. Agricultural Youth Green Jobs Initiative)
- Be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Minimum 1 year of hands on experience on small biodynamic, organic farms.
- Hard working
- Self directed and task oriented
- Willingness and passion to learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Passion for farming and growing local food!
- Experience in fast paced environment
- Able to do physical labour
Farmhand – Assisting lead farmer in all levels of small scale farm production:
- Planting seedlings and transplanting starts
- Weeding and irrigation
- Maintaining soil health
- Livestock care
- Weekly harvesting (washing, weighing, storage)
- Delivery to restaurant and brewery and communication with team
Start date: This position is open beginning February 1st with the latest start date being April 1st. The position requires commitment until Oct 31, 2019.
Weekly hours: Part time- 32 hours/week (flexible, depending on high / low season)
Hourly Wage: $16 / hour
Benefits: As part of the Field House team, benefits include: 2 free beers a day, 50% off staff meals, 25% off merchandise.
Please provide: Casual introductory email explaining your passion for farming, food and community, and your resume with two references in the farming field to: firstname.lastname@example.org